The 5 Qualities of Successful Online Students
Posted Thursday, Aug 1, 2013 by
Online students come in all types. Some are male. Some are female. Some are fresh out of high school, and others are experienced adults. Some have full-time jobs while others are family caretakers.
While no two online students are alike, the successful ones tend to share five key qualities. If you see these qualities in yourself, you may have what it takes to earn your degree online.
1. Discipline. Successful online students take their studies seriously. They give themselves the time they need to attend classes, read study materials and complete their assignments. They create weekly schedules and then stick to them. This kind of discipline comes easy to some people, but for many others, it’s a struggle. There’s no shortage of distractions in today’s world, and “cheating” on a study routine can be all too easy. But students who succeed accept this challenge, and they give up short-term pleasures for what they hope will be long-term gains.
2. Flexibility. Illness, unexpected visitors, household emergencies and vacations — all kinds of things can disrupt even the best designed schedules. Successful students are disciplined, but they’re also flexible enough to “roll with the punches” and adapt themselves to changing circumstances. But being flexible doesn’t mean letting your studies slide. It does mean readjusting your schedule to make sure the important things get done first.
3. Curiosity. Successful students are usually genuinely interested in their subject matter, often so interested that they go beyond the official study materials and seek out more information on their own. They know enough about their subjects that they can ask intelligent questions and get into lively debates. They also recognize that education doesn’t stop when they graduate, but is truly a lifetime pursuit.
4. Enthusiasm. When it comes to any long-term project, there’s no substitute for passion. Keeping your energy level high and your outlook positive allows you to overcome the temporary setbacks that inevitably occur whenever you’re trying to accomplish something of value. Like the Little Engine That Could in the classic children’s story, believing “I Think I Can — I Think I Can” can become a self-fulfilling prophecy, propelling you forward toward your graduation.
5. Focus. Successful online students tend to know what they want from life. They also tend to know what it takes to achieve their goals. They see education as a means to an end, be it money, security, respect, control — or all of the above. Wanting a better life, they’re willing to make the personal and financial investments necessary to earn the rewards they desire.
Do you have the five qualities of a successful online student? If so, then maybe it’s time you start thinking about earning your online degree. Everest University Online, a division of Everest University, is a great place to start.
About Everest University Online
Everest University Online offers associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a variety of popular career fields. Being an Internet-based school, it offers you the freedom and flexibility to take classes during the evening, on weekends or whenever else your schedule allows. Classes are small, so you can get to know your fellow students and develop close working relationships with your instructors.
Currently, Everest University Online offers bachelor’s degree programs in:
- Applied Management
- Computer Information Science
- Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
Financial aid is available for those who qualify.