Learn How to Remain Competitive in Today’s Job Market
Posted Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 by
Today’s economy is a challenge! If you’re a job seeker, what’s needed for you to remain competitive?
Whether employed, unemployed or underemployed, there are ways to remain competitive in a slow job market and uncertain economy. There’s not much that anyone can personally do to change things in our economy. It may take time for the housing market to rebound and businesses to adapt an aggressive hiring policy once again.
Here’s what you can do in the meantime to remain competitive:
- Keep a finger on your industry’s pulse. Staying on top of industry trends can create a world of value for you. The old saying that “knowledge is power” still holds true.
- Identify and meet the major players in your industry. This could be a challenge, but if you can meet the movers and shakers in your industry, the association you develop may unveil hidden benefits.
- Leverage social media. Social media, whatever popular platform you choose, can help build your personal brand. Provide interesting information and become a resource for those who follow you on social media.
- Join pertinent organizations. Identify the industry groups where the affiliation can benefit you the most. Go for the “easy access” and no-cost groups. There are a number of organizations, representing just about any industry, that may accept free memberships.
- Mind your image. Is the person you see in the mirror someone you’d consider hiring? Does your appearance fit the part? If you were a customer, would you consider doing business with you? If need be, create a new look for yourself. Your image may be essential to success.
You can keep these tips in mind throughout your career. As the world becomes more and more a global economy, competition for jobs may naturally increase. Just keep in mind that your competition may try a little harder at perfecting their image and skills. It makes sense to stay on top of your game.
Upgrade Your Education
Education always has the potential of being a game changer. If you’re thinking of upgrading your education on your own terms and schedule, consider the offered at Everest University Online, a division of Everest University. We offer associate, bachelor’s and master’s degrees for a variety of popular career fields. You get to study when and where you want. Advancing your career is all up to you.
Contact Everest University Online today. We can help you find a program that matches your lifestyle and career goals. An online degree could be the answer you’ve been looking for. We can give you the educational tools to compete in today’s job market.