Having a college degree doesn’t guarantee you’ll get a good-paying job. But not having a college degree all but guarantees you won’t, according to a new survey done by the Heidrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University.
The center recently surveyed 544 young adults. All had graduated high school between 2006 and 2011. None were full-time college students. Here’s what they found:
• Only 27 percent have full-time jobs.
• Fifteen percent have part-time jobs, but want to work full time.
• Ninety percent are paid hourly, with an average hourly wage of $9.25.
• Seventy percent say their job is temporary.
• Just 10 percent say high school prepared them to get their first job or be successful at it.
• Seventy percent say they need more education to have a successful career.
If so many high school graduates see the value of a college degree, why not try to get one? The number-one reason is cost (40 percent). Other reasons given:
• Need to work to pay the bills - 30 percent
• Have children or other family members to take care of - 10 percent
• Don’t need a degree to do want they want to do - 5 percent
Everest University Online Gives You Options
Are you a high school graduate frustrated by not having a college degree? Everest University Online may be your answer.
Everest University Online, a division of Everest University, offers accredited associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in a variety of popular career fields. It meets the needs of nontraditional college students in these key ways:
• You can work and earn your degree by taking courses during the evening and/or on weekends.
• You can take care of children or other family members during the day and take your classes at night or during other breaks in your schedule.
• You can get help with financing and budget management from Everest student aid experts.
• You can get professional support with your job hunt from Everest’s Career Services department after graduation.
Choose Your Career Path
Want to make a better life? Start by enrolling in one of these popular online degree programs:
- Computer Information Science
- Criminal Investigations
- Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
Get More Information
Learn how you can start earning your degree by contacting Everest University Online today.
Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
Accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).